Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Dreaded First-Week Optimist Vs. The Scale

Have you seen that commercial where the guy gets on the scale, runs around the room three times, and gets on the scale again? Honestly expecting to lose weight? We all laugh at home when we see it, mostly because we've all been there. I call it the first week optimism.
Drew warned us not to weigh ourselves until our official weigh in. No. Actually he told us NOT to do it. We devised a plan to hide the scale, knowing full well I'd want to jump on it every morning. Our intentions were for Aaron to hide it, but things got busy--partly because I've been working so much this week and party because preparing healthy foods and exercising takes time.
I got home from work today and Aaron confessed he'd gotten on the scale. Who would've thought he'd be the one to crack. He told me Drew said that the scale wouldn't be accurate because of water weight fluxuation. I didn't think it was fair that he got to see his progress thus far, leaving me to wonder if I too had lost anything. (He did lose weight but it doesn't matter how much because apparently it isn't that accurate, right?) So I basically made Aaron let me get on the scale. Stupid move Jenny. Stupid move. I don't know what I was expecting after four and a half days of healthy food choices and two days of exercise. I think because I feel so much better about myself this week--because I'm on the road to change--that I naturally would go down on the scale. And yes, I was down but I had this optimistic, unrealistic, crazy idea that I'd be down a lot! After just four days--
I started freaking out in my mind, which soon turned into freaking out to Aaron about all the scariness of it all. 'What if I do everything right and it doesn't work?' 'What if I am stuck like this?'
I hate the scale for this reason. It pretty much robbed me of the natural high I've been riding all week; I have felt, for the most part, amazing--amazing because I'm doing something about being overweight. And one stupid number on the scale psyched me out. I eventually got over it and did tonight's workout.
Lesson learned. Do not get on the scale in between major weigh-ins. It is not worth the emotional punch in the stomach.
First-Week Optimist--0 The Scale--1
Oh and sorry Drew. That won't happen again!

3 comments:

  1. It can be so hard to stay off the scale! If it helps, remember the scale doesn't reflect your body composition. Before you know it you'll start to notice the fit of your clothes changing. Try using that if you're really jonesing for proof that you're heading in the right direction. Team Jaynes, w00t w00t!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, am I happy you wrote about this, Jenny. My Fit2Fat2Fit journey started on 7/06/2011. I didn't weigh myself until seven months later! I measured myself on that first day and then on the last day of each month. And I kept a spreadsheet to see my progress.

    I would have never started my transforming journey if I had initially stepped on a scale. That 3-digit number would have so saddened me. For me, it was difficult enough to measure myself. Drew told me that he and Lynn didn't even own a scale before his year-long adventure (Fit2Fat2Fit).

    I lost over 100 lbs.-70+ inches, and went from a size 18-20 to size 6-8. My advice to anyone trying to lose weight is to know yourself and do whatever you need to do to stay motivated every day. For me, consistency and perseverance were the key.

    Rooting for you & Aaron! You'll be shocked what you look like after only six months. I was. (And yes, I have a daughter named Jenny, thus you'll see: "JennysMom" at the top of my post.) -Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started learning about fit2fat2fit and found your blog so I am catching up on your journey. I am exited to read Drew's book and I am glad he chose a couple (you guys) to show us how it works. I am rooting for you because you keep it real. After reading this post I am thinking that maybe I should throw my scale away....bc it really puts a downer to my day if I have been trying really hard to be healthy for a few days and nothing has been lost. Which seems silly bc I know in my brain it takes time but still doesn't change how I feel. Thanks for you willingness to take this all public, I know it isn't easy to be that vulnerable!

    ReplyDelete