Friday, September 7, 2012

I decided I'd give this a try.***Aaron's Entry***

So before I embark on my first attempt at blogging, let me make one thing clear... Jenny is the writer of the family!! She is much more eloquent than I am and she really has a knack for putting her feelings into words.(Plus, she has a lot fewer grammatical errors than I will undoubtedly have!) Here it goes.

As I sit her on the eve of our two week weigh-in I can't help but look back at how the last two weeks have gone. Not only am I replaying the past two weeks in my mind, but I am also thinking about how I got to this point. Now I am not talking about how I got to the point of needing help to lose weight, I am referring to the fact that I swallowed my pride and admitted I needed it! If you had asked me a month ago if I considered myself a healthy person, I would have answered with a resounding...."Kinda". Jenny and I have always tried to eat healthy. We would purchase low-fat foods, we would inspect the nutrition facts looking for any signs of trouble, and we trusted that what we read on the label truly meant what it was implying. Here is the extent of my (so-called)nutritional knowledge. If it was low-calorie, low-fat, and sugar-free, well then it MUST be good for me. I rarely ever took the time to read the ingredients, and on the few occasions that I did, I felt like I was learning a new language. I never took the time to truly understand what I was putting into my body, and I learned that my laziness could have some very unpleasant effects.

The day that Jenny and I went and had our body fat tested and blood-work done was a pivotal day in my life. I mentioned before that I have always considered myself "kinda" healthy. On top of my supposed semi-healthy diet I also try to stay active. I play basketball a few times a week. Jenny and I take our daughter(Isabelle) on walks a few times a week. I also try to fit in playing hockey, or going for a run whenever I can. My point is that I would have never considered myself a slouch. One of the reasons I did these things was to give myself peace of mind that I was doing something that I thought was helping me live a healthier life. But, as I sat in that office and learned that my cholesterol levels were dangerously high, it opened my eyes! I looked over and saw Jenny and Isabelle and I instantly knew what I had to do!

I had to make a lifestyle change! (and NO, Drew didn't pay me to say that.) I vowed that day to never hear news like that again in my life. Before Jenny and I started this I had so many people asking me what my goals were during this journey. They would ask me if I was trying to reach a certain weight, or fat percentage. I would always tell them that I didn't have a goal. I would say that I just wanted to get back in shape. I learned what my goal is that day. My goal is to grow old with the love of my life. My goal is to see my children have children of their own. It is very cliche', and it seems over-simplified, but I guarantee if you ever hear that you are in danger of not accomplishing those things, you will never (like I did) take them for granted again.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for posting Aaron. This journey we are all on IS a tough one; but, its really great to hear your honest thoughts. Thanks, keep em coming! (And you too Jenny) I do NOT feel like working out and eating right today. Reading your posts have inspired me. If you're struggling today, like me, let's all promis each other to get our work out in and eat perfectly clean, all for each other! We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aia! Aaron says thanks for responding! He would've said it himself but he's on diaper changing duty. It's hard to stay motivated every day but think about it as just ONE day. Just ONE day at a time. You can do anything for one day right? We both think that doing this together is an excellent idea. We'll be perfect today too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your words were eloquent on 9/07, Aaron. Although I wasn't healthy when I started my Fat2Fit journey, I am now. I lost 100lbs with Drew and Lynn, and like you I realize what is really important in my life. I'm a widow, and I want to be here for my "kids" now in their 20's and want to be with grand kids if that comes to pass.

    People don't recognize me, but that's not the coolest part. At least not to me. It's how I feel. Enough can't be said about boundless energy. Every day, exercise is a part of my day-- whether running and walking, strength training, Kettle Bells, etc. I also use a pedometer, Today's total is 5.25 miles with a 2.17 mile run this morning and over 34 miles for the week.

    Keep up the good work, Jenny and Aaron. Rooting for you! And good luck, Aaron, on Tough Mudder with Drew on 10/13. You two continue to inspire me... -Sue
    -PS *Chuckle* No, I'm not Jenny's Jayne's mom, but I do have an amazing daughter named Jenny...

    ReplyDelete